Complaint against Tampered Meter In Auto Rickshaws

I am working as a field manager in a small company and I am a regular commuter of auto rickshaws in delhi, and its very strange that everyday on the same route I get a new meter reading when i reached my destination if I follow the same route. At least more then 90% of the auto rickshaws drivers have tampered their auto meter and we feel helpless even if we know what is happening.
Some of the auto driver tampers their waiting part of the meter like if we stuck in the traffic jam I noticed that the auto meter moves much faster that when the auto is in motion and some of the auto meters run fast during the movement.
And one thing which I have noticed every day that all the auto drivers charge without any meter reading to the ladies, and they have to pay because as we know that in buses the coductoer misbehavior. No one is going to listen these things because these are a very small issue and only related to the middle class people. Our govt. will looks only on that matters where the higher end people with the strong political background.

Comments

• adminadmin Administrator
    edited January 2009
    Hello Suman,

If you find any auto rickshaws driver doing such mentioned things, you can just call on the help line no mentioned on the all auto rickshaws.

This help line run by the delhi govt. and it is very effective.

Admin
  • edited June 2009
    What if mentioned mentioned things happening in bangalore?
    Any way to punish rikshawala?
  • edited August 2009
    We travel daily from Vikhroli to Goregaon through JVLR and find that most of the rikshaws have tampered or faulty meters. The normal fare is Rupees Seventy Five but the fare due to faulty meters comes to more than 100 .

It is a great inconvenience to the commuters and daily we end up having a fight with the auto rikshaw drivers regarding this issue. Some auto rikshaw drivers are shameless enough to tell that yes they have tampered with their meters and it is fast.

Request if you can take some action against these rikshaws. I would like to highlight a couple of numbers which i have noted down who have fast and tampered meters..

Rikshaw plying from Goregaon to Vikhroli:
    MH03AA8144 (Badge Number: 147761)
    MH03R5129 (Badge Number: 71234)

Ajit Krishnan
    Contact: 67416212 / 9833893078
  • edited August 2009
    I am working in a small company in Hauz Khas , New Delhi and a regular commuter of auto rickshaw on Route ( Central Secratariate Metro Station - Hauz Khas). The distance for this route is 8.5 k.m. ( app.). However i was amazed when on the same route the meter reading showed me a ditance of 15 K.m. when i offende the same, the driver misbehaved and tried to proved me wrong and said that since morning he has charged with the same meter and nobody complained. Also when i tried to give him Rs. 50 ( which is genuine enough, as per normal meter reading), he said this is very less and created a scene in the market area of Hauz Khas.
    I suggest that proper action should be taken against such auto drivers. As they are continally looting the general public ( especially visitors from Outside delhi).

Also, i want to mention the Auto no. DL - 1R G-8888
  • edited August 2009
    Today I took an auto from Okhla to RK Puram sector-1 which is not more than 10 km distance. That means if I calculate the fare @ Rs 4.50 per km it comes to be Rs 45 plus 10 1.e Rs 55.00 but the meter read as Rs 69. On telling the auto driver that this is more than what it should be he became arrogant and did not agree. However I paid him Rs 69. But this is a matter of concern as this brings a bad name to the city.

The reg no of the auto is DL 1R K-0903.

Sudhir
  • edited September 2009
    went by rickshaw to Versorva village from Lokhandwala complex at 5pm for a fare of Rs30/- Returned to Lokhandwala Complex after an hour by another rickshaw and the meter reading showed Rs 68/-
    The details are as follows :
    Date :27-9-2009
    Time : 6-30pm ,
    Rickshaw details : MH-02-VA-2766, Number displayed on windshield 48063-W-2008, Drivers badge no 265576,

PLEASE REPLY AS TO WHAT ACTION IS TAKEN .
  • advocateadvocate Moderator
    edited September 2009

The Weight and Measures Deptt. is taking care of complaints pertaining to tempering in Auto Rickshaw meters. Pls. lodge a complaint with W&M Deptt. regarding that issue.
  • edited October 2009
    i travel daily from Andheri to Hiranandani and back to Andheri through Seepz and find that most of the rikshaws have tampered or faulty meters. The normal fare is between Rs62.00 to Rs65.00 but the fare due to faulty meters comes to more than Rs75.00

It is a great inconvenience to the commuters and daily we end up having an argument with the auto rikshaw drivers regarding this issue. however Some auto rikshaw drivers are shameless and starts with faul launguage and ask for same amount showm on meter

Request you can take a serious action action against these rikshaws drivers as day by day most auto drivers has started increasing spped of their meters as no serious actions are taken.

I would like to highlight a auto number which is having a tampered meter which i have noted down.

Rikshaw plying from Andheri to Hiranandani Kensington SEZ:
    MH-03 7432

Bhavesh Soni.
    MOB: 9860508285
  • edited March 2010
    I'm living in Mumbai since 22 years. I travel from Kandivali to Vikhroli and I catch the rick from Highway directly.... The usual fare comes to around 111 (meter reading) even when there is traffic, as I travel in Peak hours.... However, during rush hours it goes to around 120, which is fine...

On a few occasions, I have observed that the meter reading have gone upto 145 an once 178 which is completely unacceptable....!!! Imagine you are getting late for work and early in the morning you have to pay for no fault of yours!!

I would also like to bring to your notice that once the meter reading was 85 and we both knew that the meter was wrong... i paid him 110 and left.... When they lnow that the meter reading is low so they want the appropriate fare but when it exceeds they take what the meter shows....

Please advice what action should I take??? I would love to take their Rick no down, so that appropriate action is taken.

Anushri
  • VardhmanVardhman Junior Member
    edited March 2010
    I have been living in Bangalore for the past two years. I commute daily from National Games Village (NGV), Koramangala to Bommanhalli, Sasken Building for work. I take an autorickshaw daily from my home and currect reading from meter is 40 as the distance is about 6km.
    Today, the auto meter showed 65 for the same distance, which is completely unacceptable since he had also asked for Rs 10/- extra over the meter reading. On explaining the correct fare to him, he misbehaved, started swearing abusive words and even got physical. Auto no. is KA-51-7685.
    I really want to teach that autowallah and take action against him and his tampered meter.
    Pleace advise what effective action should i take????

Vardhman
  • edited April 2010
    Vardhman,

This is a growing problem in NGV. Please write to me at trafficwoesblore@gmail.com we are starting an initiative in NGV to curb the auto menace.

Vikram
    Vardhman wrote: »
    Pleace advise what effective action should i take????

Vardhman
  • edited April 2010

whom shud i contact to complaint bout autorickshaws plying with a tampered meter, in hyderabad/secunderabad

The concerned autorickshaw's registration number is AP 13 X 8309
  • edited May 2010
    i live in mysore. And once i and my mother hired a rickshaw from the railway station to my house which is 5 kms away. he first demanded 10rs extra. my mother requested him 2 drop us in front of our house, becoz she could not walk, he strted screaming at her n slapped her. When my mother asked me 2 call the police, he changed the route and started using fowl language.after along struggle v reached home. we asked him if he had change for rs.500. He snached the note and spat on my mothers eyes and rode off. i am not in a situation to lodge a police complaint. What can i do?
  • edited July 2010
    rickshaw no MH 02 SA 467 meter was too fast
  • edited July 2010
    rickshaw no MH 02 SA 467 meter was too fast

I travel daily from Dahisar to SEEPZ, Andheri via JVLR route by auto. The normal meter reading is around 10.0 which amounts to about Rs. 130/- as per the new rates. Today I travelled by an auto which got the meter reading 15.0 which was outragious. I told the driver well in advance that your meter is fast and I am not going to pay as much since I travel daily and know how much the reading should be. In spite of that, after getting off near SEEPZ, he created a scene and started using bad language. I noted his auto no: MH 02 - UA 8771. Pls take the necessary action and bring this matter to justice.

Archana
  • edited August 2010
    I travel daily from Mald to S'cruz and the meter comes to Rs.100-110 depending on traffic. Today the meter reading came to Rs.140/- and the auto driver started creating a scene when i objected.

Rickshaw No:MH03-AK-4475
  • edited August 2010
    I have been travelling regularly since 7-8months from vidyavihar to seepz thru sakinaka -jogeshwari .-vikhroli link road. The autorickshaw bearing the number MH03 A2604 had tampered his meter . The normal meter reading till the above mentioned destination is usually 60 but due to tampering it showed 80 reading. I request you to take stern action against such drivers

Velpandian
    velpandian@gmail.com
  • edited August 2010
    please remove my mobile no from this post

The reg no of the auto is DL 1R K-0903.

Sudhir
  • edited November 2010
    A person in mysore asked Rs. 2/- extra. the destination place was minimum chargeable place only. When I am in Mysore I used to pay minimum charge from FTS circle to Rotary School which is near Railway Station. on 31st when i want to return back to bangalore I got a auto from FTS Circle till Railway Station. Due to his Faulty Meter Instead of Rs.15/-, he charged Rs. 35/-. I m not found any complaint no. in that auto.... Auto No. KA02 A1960. If this continues then it will spoil the image of mysore.... instead of beautiful city.... people can call as cheaters city....

I Don't Know where to give complaint on them.....

with regards,
    Rose
  • edited January 2011
    I am a student from a reputed schhol in juhu residing in bandra. I travel by rickshaw regularly from bandra (pali market) and juhu (jamnabai narsee school). The rickshaw number, MH-03-AK-9551, d a tampered meter. Today I traveled fronm tulip star till pali narket and it ideally takes me RS. 51 or so but todays rickshaw charged me Rs. 60.4. These rickshaw drivers must be penalised as many of them have tampered meters and also many of them refuse to take passengers for short distances, and sometimes long distances. I hope you will look into the matter and take the necessary action. Thank you.
  • edited February 2011
    I was travelling from laxmi Industrial estate, mumbai to juhu versova link road, mumbai in a rickshaw numbered MH 02 UA 2402. he had meter that was very fast and tampered. Please take a strict action against him...
  • Hiten SachdevHiten Sachdev Junior Member
    edited March 2011
    Hi, I traveled from Koliwada (Thane east) to Jambli Naka (Thane west) during the afternoon when the roads were empty and the meter came 1.10. But while getting back from Jambli Naka (Thane west) to Koliwada (Thane east) in 5 minutes after that the meter came 1.50 which was too high as i had walked some distance also because i was not getting Auto in the afternoon. The roads were still empty. I told the Autowala that his meter is tampered and running fast. He said "Thoda bahut to sabka hi fast hota hai, mera bhi utna hi hai". He disagreed to take less than the cost of 1.50 and left in anger.

Please take action and punish him. His auto number is " MH 04 - CW - 8607 ".

Frankly speaking, the autowalas are not scared of the system as they are aware that they can get away by giving 20/- to 30/- if they are caught. Otherwise he would not have dared to agree and say that his meter is fast.

Hiten
    9320671550
  • Hiten SachdevHiten Sachdev Junior Member
    edited March 2011
    Hi, I would appreciate if i can be informed how to check if the meter is tampered?
    I would like to know if there is a way to cross-check or measure the meter reading while traveling.

More than 90% of the auto meters have the numbers displaced from the display.
    Almost all the auto meters while traveling make a "kit.....kit......kit" noise every 5-10 seconds. Similar noise is made by the meter when the meter reading increases from 1 point to another.

Are these signs that the meter is tampered?

Hiten
    9320671550
  • edited May 2011
    Sir/Madam
    I travelled from Andheri station (East) to paper box ( Mahakali caves Road) via gundavali hill.
    Daliy I am traveling on this route under normel circumstances meter reading comes to 1:20 or 1:40.
    But today (16.05.2011) the meter came to 2:2. (as per my expectation it should be max to max 1:5)
    I reached my destination within 7-8 minutes as the road was empty.
    After discussing with the driver about the meter reading he answered arrogently answered ," JO KARNA HAI KAR LO"

He had tampered the meter
    Auto No.: MH 02 VA 1341

Pls take necessary action

Nikhil

• edited May 2011

I was a regular commuter of auto rickshaw and i frequently travel from Multan Nagar (delhi) to Rajendra Place Delhi) in the morning. Today while i was travelling in the auto rickshaw bearing no.: DL 1 RJ 0451, i noticed that the meter moved faster and normally the total distance travelled would be 9 kms but today it showed 10.5 Kms and when i asked the driver to get the meter repaired, he replied that the meter reading was correct and there was no need to get the meter repaired. When i told him that, i would complain to cosumer court, he replied angrily that you go and complain to whomever you want but i wont get the meter repaired.
    I am not annoyed that i have paid extra money but i am more worried that how much extra money he is incurring by tampering his meter. If no action is taken on him, then in future every driver would tamper their meters and the auto rickshaws shall become 20-20 cricket score board.

Hence, i request you to take necessary action.

Rgds,
    Chaitanya
    edited August 2011

you can contact the Traffic helpline 9010203626 or 040-27852482 and 27852471 also given in the link... this is good procedure in Hyderabad to get rid of such culprits.
    edited August 2011

you can report this to Traffic helpline 9010203626 or 040-27852482 and 27852471.

I was unable to post this reply as my text length was less than 600 characters (I am confused) so some avoidable text below... please ignore.

ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
    edited August 2011

You can report Auto rickshaw meter tampering to Traffic helpline 9010203626 or 040-27852482 and 27852471.

"2nd Oct, 2010: Traffic police booked as many as 18,866 cases against errant auto-rickshaw drivers during the week-long special drive against them, and collected Rs. 12,23,900 in fines, providing some relief to harassed citizens.

The drive, which was started from September 27th and continued till Friday, was aimed at checking those drivers who violate rules and regulations.

The traffic police booked 909 auto drivers for demanding extra from passengers, 588 for refusing to ply passengers to said destinations, 839 for carrying more than the permitted number of passengers, 187 cases of ferrying more than 6 school children, 2,971 for auto piloting, 92 for rash driving, 670 for parking in bus bays, 1,781 for wrong parking, 479 for signal jumping, 206 for stop line crossing, 2,309 for driving without a uniform, 479 for driving without a driving license, and 77 for driving without documents.

In addition, there were 6,753 pending cases detected through PDAs.

The traffic police detained as many as 319 autos and booked 207 cases using decoys.

According to authorities, the Traffic Police Department will insist that auto drivers follow "Rule 269 - Exhibition Of Particulars On Auto Rickshaws" of AP MV Rules, 1989, where a board/plate inside the auto rickshaw should be installed and fixed on the portion between the driver's seat and the passenger's seat in a manner visible to the passengers from the seat.

This board should be 20 cm in length and 20 cm in width, with white letters set on a black background, with each letter not less than 3 mm in length and 3 mm in breadth.

The board should contain details that include the name of the Auto Owner, Auto Registration Number in Telugu or in Urdu, and traffic help lines 9010203626 or 040-27852482 and 27852471.

The traffic police also confirmed that during these drives, several auto drivers and owners were found resorting to tampering of digital meters, and several methods were being adopted to tamper these meters so that they could collect extra fare from the hapless passengers.

The traffic police warned that henceforth, if a meter was found to be tampered, Legal Metrology Authorities would be informed to take action as per their procedures.

The Police Department will proceed to take criminal action against the owners of such auto-rickshaws, and also the owners of the mechanical sheds who were found to have tampered with the meters, under 420 IPC.

As per Rule 100 Sub Section ii (2) of Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989, the plastic sheet on the rear side of the auto-rickshaw should be transparent. Many autos have converted this into advertisement space.

Auto-rickshaw owners are required to place transparent plastic sheets in place of the advertisement, for security reasons and also for rear view functionality.

The traffic police have given a week's time to auto owners and drivers to make the above changes in the autos.

In this week, owners and drivers are also expected to regularise their driving licenses and other auto papers, arrange for khaki shirts and a proper uniform, remove extra structures near the driver's seat and make other mandatory changes.

The traffic police is proposing another drive targeting auto-rickshaw drivers, from October 11th."

Uday
  • AdityapAdityap Junior Member
    edited September 2011
    Rickshaw No. MH 04 CW 5484 has a tampered meter. Please look into the matter and get the meter checked as I paid twice the normal amount for the same distance today. I usually travel from Lodha Paradise, Majiwada, Thane to Thane railway station at Rs 30 a day. But today for the same distance the above mentioned auto driver charged me Rs 56 based on his meter readings. Hence, I draw a conclusion that the meter is faulty. Please look into this matter seriously.
  • edited October 2011
    I usually travel from andheri east to malad West, but today when i tokk a rickshaw i noticed that his meter was tampered as i had to pay more than usual...usually the charges is between 54-57, and incase of unsual traffic also it doesnt go beyond 60, but today i had to pay 75 rs...and when i argued with the driver for his meter being tampered, he was rude and strarted shouting, i could not take him to police staion or RTO,which i wanted to do, as i'm sure his meter was tampered, however i wish to make a compalint against him and want strict action to be taken against him, his richshaw no. is MH.02 TA 5103